Alan prides himself on providing his clients with practical and creative solutions to even the most complex of issues. As an attorney, author and lecturer, he practices, makes and teaches the law.
Alan thinks like a chess player, always anticipating what is next. He is compulsively early, unflappable under pressure and tough but fair. He also loves to play matchmaker, introducing his clients to business partners and investors who can help them grow their businesses.
Alan loves all things Philadelphia. When he is not lawyering or teaching, you can find him spending time with his family at local eateries, walking his dog, Knox, where he lives in Fairmount, or rooting hard for our beloved Philadelphia teams.
Alan has repeatedly been recognized by his peers as an attorney who represents his clients well and with a great degree of success:
- Best of the Bar, Real Estate, Philadelphia Business Journal (2020).
- Influencer of Real Estate, The Philadelphia Inquirer (2019).
- Super Lawyer, Real Estate, Super Lawyers (2019, 2020 and 2021).
- Rising Star, Real Estate, Super Lawyers (2008, 2013, and 2014).
- AV Preeminent®, LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell (2014).
- Lawyer on the Fast Track, American Lawyer Media (2003).
- 10.0 “Superb” Avvo® rating.
By mayoral appointment, Alan has sat on several city-chartered boards focusing on real estate and economic development issues:
- Member, Board of Directors, Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development (PAID) (2005-2008).
- Member, Board of Directors, Philadelphia Commercial Development Corporation (PCDC) (2003-2008).
Alan has been responsible for investigating and making recommendations of the fitness of candidates for the state judiciary:
- Member, Investigative Division, Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention, Philadelphia Bar Association (2010-present).
- Member, Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention, Philadelphia Bar Association (2007).
Alan has also served and continues to serve as a leader in the legal community:
- Member, Executive Committee, Temple American Inn of Court (2020-present).
- Assistant Bursar, Louis D. Brandeis Law Society (2019-present).
- Member, Executive Committee, Louis D. Brandeis Law Society (2019-present).
- Member, Temple American Inn of Court (2013-present).
- Member, Executive Committee, Real Property Section, Philadelphia Bar Association (2011-2012).
- Member, Education Task Force, Philadelphia Bar Association (2008).
- Chair, Young Lawyers’ Division, Philadelphia Bar Association (2007).
- Member, Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Division, Philadelphia Bar Association (2001-2008).
Since 2014, Alan has served as a member of the Advisory Council of Lloyd Hall.
Since 2004, Alan has been writing a real estate column for The Legal Intelligencer, the oldest legal publication in the country.
He periodically writes a Q&A column for PhillyVoice.
Alan is also a contributing author for the 12th and 13th editions of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Civil Practice Manual, published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the authoritative treatise on how to maneuver through the local court system.
In 1996, Alan obtained his undergraduate degree at the State University of New York at Albany and then, in 1999, he graduated from the George Washington University School of Law.
Admitted to Practice
Alan is admitted to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the State of New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
The Latest Legal Developments in PA and NJ
We have our fingers on the pulse of the latest legal news, rulings, and regulations in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Explore our free resources to stay up to date on the developments impacting your personal and business lives.